Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Brain injury after an accident, has irritation, mood swings, post traumatic amnesia. How long will it take to be normal?

Hello Doctor, My husband met with a car accident in Oct 2011 and suffered brain injury ( frontal lobe injuries). He was in ICU for 2 weeks and got conscious after 12 days. Now He is out of hospital but has irritation, mood swings and still suffers post traumatic amnesia . 1. How long will it take for him to become normal. (The medicines he is taking now is encorate chrono 800mg 1-0-1 and rantac-1-0-1, gloeye-0-0-1.) 2. How long should he continue encorate chrono.
Asked On : Thu, 19 Apr 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  118
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting the query.

Your husband had suffered from a severe head injury, as he remained unconscious for 12 days and required ventilator.

Recovery from this condition is slow, and may be incomplete.

Encorate chrono is a medicine to prevent fits, which may occur in a patient with severe head injury. If there is frontal lobe scarring (which can be seen on brain scan), he should continue this medicine for a long period of time.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist
Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad
Answered: Thu, 25 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor