Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Boil in inguinal area with streaking and redness, took Bactrim, had been to swimming. Could it be infection?

My 37 y/o son has an boil in the inguinal area about 2 inches done from the hip area on the right. He went to an urgent care where the Practitioner looked at it from the door way and did not even palpate it. There was streaking and redness down the inguinal area down about 3 or 4 inches. He was given Bactrim DS rx. This started a couple days ago as a small red bump and quickly worsened today. He went swimming in a bay area here in the Fort Walton area. I am concerned and worried about a spreading infection. I called an ER and they said they usually wait til the boil softens and advised to take the antibiotics and see.
Asked On : Mon, 10 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  25
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Thanks for the query.

You might have developed cellulitis.

It is deep bacterial infections.

There is possibility that some thing bit him while swimming.

This might have got infected.

Treatment is with antibiotics.

Please meet a dermatologist for exact diagnosis.

If required even injectable antibiotics can be given.

Let me know if you have any other doubt.

you can ask a direct question to me on this forum, following the below link.

Wishing you a good health.
Thank you
Answered: Sat, 7 Sep 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor