Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

Body pain, pain in left shoulder, legs. Using voveron 50, inmecin for pain relief. Will snepdol help?

Dear Doc., My mother is 88 years old and she is suffering from pain all over the body particularly left shoulder and both the legs. She has been having voveron 50 and inmecin for the pain without which she is not able to live normally. Also she is unable to sleep properly on account of this pain. It was suggested that she stop voveron 50 and try snepdol. Pls advise
Asked On : Sun, 23 Dec 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  74
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Dec 2012
Your mother is suffering from chronic rheumatic type pains/ fibromyalgia and needs to be managed first by ruling out any possibility of infection related or metabolic cause. So some few test designed contextually by your doctor would need to be done. Such as ASLO, Rheumatoid factor, uric acid, malaria test (if malaria is endemic in your zone), and other infections or electrolyte analysis. After which it would be ruled out that her pains are either related to a particular cause or is idiopathic or strongly related to her ageing. In any case after running the diagnosis the pain still needs to be managed. But if there is a cause for the body pains, then it needs to be treated. The pain could be of nervous origin.
Your doctor started managing the pains with 1st class analgesic. He would need to be stepping up gradually to 2nd class ( e.g tramadol) and maybe finally end up with 3rd class (morphine and derivatives) or try a combination of 1st class analgesic like he did earlier could be of additional benefit. Associating the analgesic with a specific agent like amitriptyline (a trycyclic antidepressant) , carbamazepine etc have proven to treat pain especially when their direct causes could not be identified. If you were prescribed snepdol, you can get your mother started on that before it could be changed.
What I will suggest is you try to comfort your mother and make her know that gradually the pain will be managed. Just give your doctor sometime to get the right painkiller for your mother.

Thank you and hope this helps
Answered: Sun, 23 Dec 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor