Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
150 Doctors are Online

Blood work done. Levels all high, BMI high. Is it due to fatty liver?

Hi, I am Kathy 53 yrs old today. Had blood work done recently for life insurance. My AST was 51 my ALT was 114 and my GGT wa 175. I haven t had a drink in two years and didn t drink but one or two glasses per month before that, of red wine. My BMI is 38.1, high also. Could this be a fatty liver or something more dire?
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  76
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Welcome to HCM,
Your liver enzymes are elevated AST,ALT, and GGT, they indicate injury to liver but GGT in isolation points to alcoholic induced damage to liver but in association can increase in other liver injuries, Fatty liver could be one,Obesity, Cholestasis due to Stones,liver damage due to Diabetes.
Viral hepatitis,drug induced simple drugs like paracetamol can damage liver significantly.
There are various test to know the cause of liver damage many Imaging like Ultra sonography and CT/MRI scan.
If any obstruction is suspected then ERCP.
Please do not take any alcohol, and try to reduce your weight and investigate properly in consultation with Physician.
If every thing is fine then lose weight and take care of diet and exercise try to keep fit.
Take care
Good Luck.
Answered: Thu, 28 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor