Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Blood test shows high triglyceride level. Family history of diabetes

My glucose is 100. My triglycerides were 436 more than a year ago. I stopped using sugar and any other products and they went down to 217. Glucose stayed the same. My BMI is 22 and I do sport. On my last blood test b=my triglycerides have gone up to 330!! What can I do? ( my father has diabetes from around age 40) I am 43
Asked On : Wed, 16 Jan 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
You DONT have Diabetes.Triglycerides which increase with Carbohydrate are a risk factor more for Asians compared to Americans and at every level we have early,more and higher complications and Diet,Discipline are the FIRST steps which you have already followed.
In Americans sometimes TG may be treated when more than 500mg% but for YOU one can/should start treatment NOW and continue the dietary restriction of Carbohydrate specially because you do have a family history of Diabetes and Carb restriction will prevent or delay the development of Diabetes apart from reducing the TG levels. Do consult your doctor for the medication groups suitable to you as per your lab and other profile .Get back if need be on this platform

Answered: Wed, 16 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Endocrinologist Dr. Om Lakhani's  Response
Dear Helena

Your triglycerides are very high. Some people suffer from familial conditions called familial hypertriglyceridemia where the triglycerides are very high and difficult to control. In you case you should do the following

1. Talk to a dietician to prescribe you some low fat diet which can help with your triglycerides
2. Start off on cholesterol medications especially the ones which bring the triglycerides down.

Since your father had diabetes, you are at a risk too, so I would advise you to have a glycosylated hemoglobin (HBA1c) done every 3 yrs. If it is >6.5% you are in diabetic range and you need to start treatment for the same.

Dr. Om Lakhani
Consultant Diabetologist (online expert diabetes care consultantion)
Answered: Wed, 16 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Gopal Krishnam Raju's  Response
stop non veg , bakery foods, saturated oil consumption and regular physical activity :)
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor