Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Blood sugar of 317, Is that too high ?

I tested at 109 but my boyfriend tested at 317. We received a free blood glucose monitor in the mail as a free sample. Neither of us has been diagnosed with diabetes. What do these numbers mean and how to lower them, ,if needed. 317---boyfriend 109---Niinnaa Retested at 220 so i m guessing its going down and starting to get normal again. We went to the movies tonight and had popcorn and cokes.
Asked On : Mon, 21 Dec 2009
Answers:  3 Views:  1414
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response

I hope that your boyfriend has been to his physcian about his blood pressure since you posted this.  If it has been 8 hours or more since he has eaten, his blood sugar should be in the 70-99 range. Even if it is postprandial (after a meal), it should not be above 145.  The American Diabetes Association considers a reading of 126 or higher fasting glucose on 2 or more occasions, and/or a 2 hour oral glucose tolerance test (OGTT) is 200 or higher and/or he is experiencing symptoms of diabetes (excessive hunger, excessive thirst, excessive urination, fatigue, tingling or numbness in the hands and feet, blurred vision, or unexplained weight loss).  I don't want to scare you, but with a glucose level in the 300s he is potentially at risk for a very, very serious condition called diabetic ketoacidosis (dka), in which his sugar is so high and his insulin levels are so low that essentially his body starts burning fatty acids because it can't take glucose into the cells, causing ketones to be released into the blood and resulting in a dangerously low pH (dangerously acidic blood).   If you notice an acetone or fruity odor on his breath or labored breathing (Kussmaul respiration because the bicarbonate anion exchange that is supposed to maintain blood pH within a narrow range can't keep up with the very acidic pH of the blood) get him to a doctor, stat.  If he hasn't had one already, he needs to get his glucose tested by a physician, probably both fasting and with an OGTT. Also, it is probably a good idea for him to get his HbA1c tested.  HbA1c is glycated hemoglobin and is expressed as a percentage that can be approximated to an average glucose level in the blood. It measures average glucose concentration in the blood over time (usually about the past 3 months).  I hope that he can get his blood sugar under control if he hasn't already, because both 317 and 220 are way, way too high for a healthy individual. And if yours was random and not fasting, keep up the good work!


Source: biology major with emphasis/interest in endocrinology, have worked with doctors in 2 different clinics on diabetes prevention, education, and management.

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
  Anonymous's Response

yes blood sugar of 317 is very high and it is alarming for the appropriate treatment. sugar levels usually ranges from 80 to 120mg/dl and if the sugar goes above 180mg/dl than the kidneys do not function properly and the sugar starts comming in the urine. if further increase in sugar increases the urine sugar and causes kidney dysfunction.

Answered: Mon, 21 Dec 2009
  Anonymous's Response

I should correct that first sentence about the glucose: above 126 fasting etc on 2 or more occasions is usually diagnostic of diabetes (they will probably look at his weight and ask about his diet and other factors to determine whether it is type 1 or type 2).

Answered: Wed, 10 Mar 2010
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor