Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Blood, mucus with bowel movement, lower back pain, fatigue, vomiting, diarrhoea. History of rectal bleeding. Treatment?

I am a 31 years old female, and since April of this year I have been having bright red blood when I have a bowel movement (it is in the stool and on the toilet paper). I also have been passing a mucous-like substance at the same time. Twice since then I had what I thought was a stomach virus (the most recent 2 days ago) with vomiting , diarrhea , and severe stomach cramps with cold sweats that last approximatly 24-48 hours. I had rectal bleeding about the same time last year, and I saw a gastroenterologist who performed a colonoscopy and told me that my that I had one spot of inflammation in the rectosigmoid canal and a couple of benign polyps. He prescribed Rowasa enemas, but never explained what he thought caused it or how to prevent it. Last year s episode lasted several months as well. I am now experiencing lower back pain as well since the virus the other day and fatigue. I am worried because it is getting worse instead of better. I spent around $4,000 last year on this just to be rushed through my appointments and made to feel like it isn t an issue. This is starting to affect my daily life, so before I spend $4,000 more that I don t have, I m just trying to find out if this even sounds like an issue or not. Your opinion is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Asked On : Mon, 20 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  399
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Gastroenterologist 's  Response
Hello, floridian,
When you had your colonoscopy and were told that you had spots of
inflammation and also some small polyps, I am concerned that you
might have inflammatory bowel disese such as Crohn's colitis or
Ulcerative colitis. The fact you are still having bloody bowel movements
with mucus sugeests that you do have active inflammation present.
Eventhough you had the test about a year ago, things can progress
during this time. I would recommend that you call and make an
appointment with the original gastroenterologist that you saw
and have him re-evaluate you. I am confident that he or she will treat
you right. If that gastroenterologist is a fellow of American College Of
Gastroenterology, you can trust him.
Wish you good health.
Answered: Wed, 22 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor