Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Blood in urine, back pain, passing kidney stones. Should I visit a nephrologist or urologist?

i feel like i should be sent to a nephrologist but my primary care says if this next test comes back positive for blood in urine (which will be the 4th one) she will send me to a urologist. do they both deal with kidneys? i have had back pain for over a month now (severe early on) and NO infection whatsoever - they are pretty sure i passed a couple kidney stones . my back still hurts and my kidney area feels weird and gets hot sometimes (hot on inside, not to touch)
Asked On : Mon, 11 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  33
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello, thanks for using HCM.
A nephrologist is concerned with medical diseases of the kidneys while a urologist is concerned with medical and surgical diseases of the urinary tract as well as surgical diseases of the kidneys. Treatment of kidney stones could be both surgical and medical. So, it will be advisable to see a urologist.
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor