• question-icon

Blood in stools, diverticulitis. Cause?

After emitting blood through his stools , my 90 year old father was admitted to the ICU and after an endoscopy and colonoscopy (he never had one before), he was dianosed with divirticulitis. The colonoscopy did not isolate the cause of the bleeding and the doctor said that given his age, it can happen again anytime. Is this life threatening and is there any precautions he can take (other than stepping up his fibre intake)?
Mon, 30 Sep 2013
Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.
Bleeding could be due to ulcer, polyp, growth, or meckels diverticulum.
As colonoscopy didn't reveal any cause for bleeding, further evaluation may be required such as capsule endoscopy to locate the site of bleeding.
I suggest you to be in regular follow up with the doctor.
Continue medication and instructions as advised for diverticulitis.
Hope I have answered your query.
Regards.