Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Blood in stool, pain while passing stool, normal stool. Advised more fiber in diet. Any ideas?

for the pass couple of days when I have a bowel movement there is bood on one side of my stool and when I wipe there is a lot of blood on the tissue. their is a sharp pain also while Im passing stool, the stool is like a normal brown stool and solid. Im on meds that couses constapation. I talked to my doctor before about it and he said I need more fiber in my diet, or stool softener it still scares me im 39, and my sister passed away from colon cancer two years ago at age 50. should I be worried, alo sometimes I feel like a needle pinch around the opening, the sharp pain I feel while im passing stool.
Asked On : Tue, 23 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  117
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Thanks for using HCM,
Dont be Panic..
You are suffering from Constipation which can be treated by Stool Softner (I think the symptom recuring again and again) If so ,
1)Drink plenty of fluids more than 3ltrs per day
2)Syp.Lactulose 10ml tds
3)Lignocain Jelly for Local application in Anal Region to Reduce Pain
4)SitZ Bath for 15-20mins daily before passing stools.
5)Antibiotics for 5days.

Stop Antibiotics after 5 days and Drink plenty of fluid to prevent Hard Stool in nearfuture too
If worried Consult for Proctoscopy Examination
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
General Surgeon Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein's  Response
Apr 2013
Hi and welcome to HCM. Blood in stool is significant sign but in most cases it doesnt mean something serious and usually this is a sign of polspy, haemorrhoids, anal fisures or constipation especailly if you are constipated as you said. But of course that malignancies should be ruled out considering your familly predispositions although this is rare in your age. You should visit proctologist just to perform simple rectal examination and check your red blood picture and of course eat fier rich food and take lot of fluids. Wish you good health.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Mayank Bhargava's  Response
Jan 2013
Thanks for posting your query.
With the available described symptoms, there could be possibility of Anal fissure or thrombosed piles.
As you have positive family history of Colon cancer, this possibility should also be kept in mind but this is not associated with anal pain.
You should consult with internal medicine specialist/ general surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, blood sugar, serum electrolytes, and thyroid profile.
You should take plenty of water, high fibre diet and laxatives containing lactitol and isapgula.
You should perform increased physical activity to maintain gastrointestinal mobility.
You should also go for colonoscopy for better clarification.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor