Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Blocked teat duct in a eye, thinking of surgery to put stent. Advice?

hello doctor. my son, who is 16, has had a blocked tear duct in 1 eys since he was 2 years old. As I recall, he had a swollen eye lid on that side for a few days, it cleared up, and then the excessive tearing began. It is exacerbated by the wind and cold , but he does tear frequently. I took him to an eye specialist when he was 4 years old and we decided to leave it alone. Now that he is older, it is annoying him, especially when he is playing sports, etc. and we looked into having the surgery to put the stent in the tear duct. We were told that it is not always successful and it would cost about $3-4,ooo. Apparently, it may have to be done a 2nd time, if not successful, but again there are no guarantees. It seems to me from some online research that this type of surgery has a high success rate in children under 2 yrs old, but I cannot seem to get much information for older patients. That is what I am trying to find out now. I am not sure it is worth pursuing the surgery and expense. Can you help me?
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  64
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
Your son is having congenital dacryocystitis from child hood.
the treatment for congenital dacryocystitis is similar to adult one once the child reaches 4 years and above.
Stent is done in children below 4 years of age in whom repeated probing is failed. Stent is not done in adults as dacryocystorhinostomy can be done in people older than 4 years of age.
Hence I advice to undergo dacryocystorhinostomy only as it is better surgery giving better results.
Thank you
Answered: Wed, 14 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor