Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
121 Doctors are Online

Bleeding on urinating, burning sensation. Urine sample detected blood, nitrites. Cure?

Blood after urinating at night, stains in underwear in the morning, burning sensation while urinating, pain subsided after short time, blood was not visible in urine , five hours later doctor found blood and nitrites in urine sample, after urinating again small blood stain in underwear, since then no further episodes, treatment with antibiotics what could it be? male, over 50 ----thank you
Asked On : Thu, 17 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  338
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome,

Thanks for your query.

First let us talk about the blood present in your urine. This could most probably be due to the presence of an obstruction cause by a stone, either in the kidney or urinary bladder (most commonly), a tumor, etc.

This obstruction, could lead to the stagnation of urine, which in turn cause an infection. Symptoms of an infection which you are experiencing are burning sensation while urinating.

Now, treatment of the infection is important, but we need to understand that the infection will recur as long as the obstruction is present.

It would be best to follow this up with an ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis, which would give us a more clear picture.

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to us anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 22 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Hari Charan Perigela's  Response
Blood in the urine is called Haematuria.It may be due multiple reasons like ,Urinary tract infectionRenal stone,Bladder cancer etc
As your doctor prescribed Antibiotics,it may be Urinary tract infection.
If the complaint doesn't subside ,please go for further investigations like Ultrasound abdomen,Cystoscopy-where your bladder is visualised etc with the consultation of your Urologist.
If you send your reports,i can clarify further.
All the best
Answered: Thu, 17 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor