Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Black mark around the eye after an injury. Pain and headache with swelling. Need treatment?

Hi.. I am Riya, a student, recently I got hit by water bottle on the corner of eye during a fight. There is no problem with my vision but that has left a big black mark around my right eye. It causing pain on the whole area and headache . there is also swelling and something hard like lump. Are there any measures that could make it go away quickly?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  37
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
General & Family Physician 's  Response
A black eye is a relatively common result of injury to the face or the head, caused when blood and other fluids collect in the space around the eye; swelling and dark discoloration result-hence, the name "black eye."

Most black eyes are relatively minor injuries and heal of their own.
Despite the name, "black eye," the eye itself is not usually injured. 
The skin around the eye is very loose, with mostly fat underneath. This makes it an ideal site for fluid to accumulate. The effects of gravity also help to swell this part of the face. 

Take rest
Apply ice locally
Take anti inflammatories like ibuprofen 400 mg three times a day for 3 to 5 days.
It shall take 2 to 3 weeks to go completely.
Answered: Sat, 2 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

4 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor