Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Black and blue vein in throat. Why is that? What is the connection with main artery? Biopsy?

hi i have dark blue vein in back of my throat had ct scan and mri scan went to see cosultant yesturday he told me i have quite a few veins clumping together and was told i have 3 options 1 leave it 2see specialist at middlesbough and have treatment to inject it too make it make it just drop off 3 have big operation to remove it but i would be in theartre all day and is risky i would have to have also skin graff from my arm and he mentioned somthing to do with my my main artery im a little confused i was advised to try second option because if i leave it it will get worse as it is already getting bigger and will end up having to have option 3 any way the thing is when i see a consultant in middlesbrough he might not beable to do it as it may be too big i would like to know what it is called i have and why would the doctor say he would normally do biopsy but cant because of where it is could cause big bleed is it canerous or some thing like that
Asked On : Tue, 18 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  1091
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Internal Medicine Specialist 's  Response
Dear friend, welcome and thanks for entrusting your query here at Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

It seems to be a venous angioma or an areterio-venous fistula.
It is an abnormal cluster of tortuous vessels (veins or artery to vein connections).

If it is enlarging rapidly, operating on/biopsying a vascular malformation is disastrous if it bleeds too much (which it does). Usually an expert in this job may prefer to inject the feeders with a glue or coil to occlude and reduce the vascularity and then operate in 2nd stage.

Uncommonly, it may a vascular tumour or cancer.
Did they say it is a tumour or growth?
It is likely to be a vascular malformation from your description.
Better to get an earliest appointment of the interventional vascular surgeon and be guided by his opinion.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!
It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Answered: Fri, 12 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor