Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

Bitten tongue, now its very swollen with lots of discomfort

My husband bit his tongue very hard (2 different times). Now he has developed a very painful, swollen, almost tumor looking sore. It is very difficult for him to eat. Topical treatments are not working to numb the pain. What can he do to minimize the pain/discomfort & speed the healing process?
Asked On : Sat, 2 Oct 2010
Answers:  5 Views:  2164
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
ENT Specialist 's  Response
welocme to health care magic
its better u consult some dentist those may be pre cancerous lesions..
Answered: Mon, 16 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
  User's Response
Hi. I usually bite my tongue in the same spot all the time. Now I have a swollen bump on the side and it's been there for a while. It looks like my tongue is split open a bit where the bump is. What should I do about it?
Answered: Mon, 16 May 2011
Dentist Dr. K. Ravi Shekar's  Response
Hi Angela,
Since you are giving a history of biting the same spot on your tongue repeatedly, you may well have landed up with a traumatic ulcer. You can try using a topical application like Dologel or Dentogel and see if you feel better. Avoid hot and spicy foods till condition improves and you can also take Vit-B tablets to help the ulcer heal faster. But if problem persists, seek advice from a dental surgeon as there are other conditions like precancerous lesions which may need professional help from a doctor.
Good luck and thanks for being on HealthCare Magic.
Answered: Mon, 16 May 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Dentist Dr. Naveen kumar's  Response
you can apply some oral gels like DOLOGEL -CT or CURENEXT if its caused due to just biting but in case of big swelling of tongue due to other reasons u should not neglect.swellings may be due to other sytemic diseases too.if u find patches on tongue ,that might be benign or malignant tumours or a precancerous its always better to consult a dentist for this.
Answered: Mon, 13 Dec 2010
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

ENT Specialist Dr. Puneet Maheshwari's  Response
also be required u take good anti bitoics like tab clavum 625mg 1 bd
tab signofalm 1 bd
tantum mouth wash for gargle
Answered: Sat, 28 May 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor