Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
141 Doctors are Online

Bitten by dog, lump beneath wound, no pain. Should I see a doctor?

Hi , i got bit by a dog a week ago and couldnt afford a dr s visit. The dog had all of it s shots and ive been cleaning it 3-4 times a day with peroxide and using neosporin to try and prevent infection... the swellig has mostly gone down, but now i m noticing what seems to feel like a hard lump right underneath the puncture wound.. it doesn t hurt to push it and there hasnt been any puss coming out of the wound.. so i m wondering if this could possibly be from the pressure of the dog bite. My friend got bitten about a year ago and he now has an infection that the dr has to surgically remove.. it was a small lump and eventually grew bigger.. so could my lump be from the bruising or soes it sound like an underlying infection that i should see a dr about?? Thanks for your time and help!
Asked On : Thu, 13 Sep 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  428
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Pediatrician, Cardiology 's  Response
Thanks for the query
There are various stages of healing of wound. The classic model of wound healing is divided into three or four sequential, yet overlapping phases: (1) hemostasis (2) inflammatory, (3) proliferative and (4) remodeling. Sometimes during the process of healing in the last phase of remodelling there is formation of excess collagen or fibrous tissue that may feel like a painless lump. However, this process of healing is not only complex but fragile, and susceptible to interruption or failure leading to the formation of non-healing chronic wounds, which must have happened in you friend's case.In your case there is no pain otherwise there could have been chances of abscess, cellulitis or tendon inflammation. You can apply antiscar gel like Mederma scar gel or Kelo-cote scar gel once a day and gently massage the area for about 6 weeks and observe for persistence of lump or further increase in size, association with pain and tenderness.
If you notice any of these consult your doctor for proper evaluation.
I hope this answers your query well
Wish you and your family good health
With regards
Answered: Thu, 13 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor