Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
152 Doctors are Online

Bitten by dog. Applied peroxide. Lump under skin, tender. What is this?

I was bitten by a dog and the dog has been vaccinated but not for years. It left somewhat if a scratch with some areas a little teeny but deep but far from a laceration. I applied peroxide and antibiotic ointment an now after about two weeks I ve noticed there is a lump under my skin that is tender if pressure is applied. Should I seek medical attention and what could this be?
Asked On : Sat, 13 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  72
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Pediatrician 's  Response

Firstly If the dog has not been vaccinated according to the routine schedule ,then it is advisable that you take the anti rabies vaccine @ 0,3,7,14,28 days.

Secondly the wound if it was a scratch and not a laceration should have healed by now.if on that area if a painful lump is present after 2 weeks then it might be an abscess or infection.So you will need your Doctor to assess the wound .

Take care
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

2 Doctors agree with this answer

Pediatrician Dr. E Venkata Ramana's  Response
Feb 2013

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

This lump under the skin may me an abscess which could be due to secondary infection of the bite wound with a bacteria.

First I advise you to seek medical attention regarding vaccination against rabies as the dog was not up to date for anti rabies vaccination.

How is the dog health right now?

If the dog is healthy now, then nothing to worry as a healthy dog after 10 days of the bite indicate that it is not carrying rabies virus.

But I advise you to consult your Physician regarding the anti rabies vaccination and wound management.

Hope I have answered your query.

Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Cardiologist Dr. Anantharamakrishnan's  Response
Hi friend,
Welcome to Health Care Magic

Irrespective of anything, you must seek medical opinion
See the doctor

Take care
Wishing speedy recovery
God bless
Good luck
Answered: Sat, 13 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor