Owl Image

Birth Control (the patch) and Emergency Contraception (Plan B) ?

First: does EC speed up one's menstrual cycle? Second: If already on Birth control and if you take EC will it mess up the cycle for the birth control? or should they not be taken at the same time?
Tue, 25 Aug 2009
Hi. I bled few days after taking EC. So you could say that it speeds up the cycle, but after that things got normal. I mean i continued to have normal 28 day cycles. I have used more than one protection (condom+EC) to be extra extra safe but never two hormonal methods together, so I can't tell u what to expect. My best guess is that you should think of the bleeding after EC as a regular period and start using a fresh cycle of birth control as you do after your periods. And if u are using ur patch well, don't bother with EC. The patch works.
Thank you. Ive used EC once before and everything was normal. The thing was that I just started the patch and youre supposed to use back up for the first week (Patch+condom) so the hormone levels could get boosted like they should. But there was a oops a day before that "week" was up and I was debating on taking EC just in case but I didnt know if I needed to start a new birth control cycle. Your idea is what I thought about doing :]