Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
175 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Bilateral mild varicocele and Mild right hydrocele with semen count zero are curable?

I am 32 years old , married 1 year before.
2 semen analysis did, both with zero sperm count as result
FHS =10.3 , reference range 1 ~ 14
Prolactin = 7.2 , reference range 1.2 ~ 19.2
TSH = 1.9, reference range 0.3 ~ 5.5

Scrotal usg & Doppler:-
Right testis measures 3.2*2.1*2.3 cm
Left testis measures 3.1*2*2.4
both test shows e/o microcalcification, vascularity is normal
No e/o focal lesion
Both epidermal heads are normal in size and echotexture
Mild right hydrocele

Pampiniform plexus of veins :-
Right at rest = 2.1mm , Valsalva = 3mm
Left at rest = 2.3mm, valsalva = 3mm

Both testes are slightly reduced in size with microcalcifications
- Bilateral mild varicocele
- Mild right hydrocele

Query: is this condition curable with treatment or surgery?
Do I need donor sperm?

Thu, 28 May 2015
Report Abuse
Question is related to
Medical Topics ,   ,  
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello there,
Since both your testis are affected with varicocoele and hydrocoele respectively they have to be treated first . They require surgery. Depending on your doctor he may do them simultaneously or one by one. After the surgery we give some time for your testis to recover and again check if they are able to make sperm.
If not we take a biopsy of your testis(Which does not damage them in anyway) and check if they are capable of making sperm.
A short course of hormonal therapy may follow this.
If still your sperm count does not restore then we will have to consider donor sperm.
This is the protocol that doctors/surgeons follow. We go step by step and explore all options with you and ensure that you make the most of what you have.

Hope this helps,
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

After above semen analysis my doctor without giving any antibiotics he advised me to go for ULTRASOUND and the report is given please advice. BOTH...

Recent questions on  Prolactin

doctor1 MD

Does any of these medicines - Thyroxine Sodium tablets, 25 mcg & cyproterone acetate and ethinyloestradiol cause loss of appetite? I have been...

doctor1 MD

hi doctor, i m 25 yrs old. i have irregular period problem...went to gyneac, she took some test. she said everything is normal try for 2 ,3 months...

doctor1 MD

Hello Doctor

I am 42 years old, 190 cm height, 85 kg weight, and married. I have one testicle (left one, on my left hand), when I was a baby the...

doctor1 MD

hi I was dx with MS last march but I also have a problem with small amounts of breast milk and very irregular menstrual periods, I was wondering if...

doctor1 MD

I had a zit in my left nipple. I squeezed it and puss came out. I never knew you could get a zit in your nipple?!?! Is that ok?

doctor1 MD

Hi Sir, I hope you remember me ! My father got pituatory macrodenema surgery 3 and half years back. Its because of prolactin production and the...

doctor1 MD

Hi,my periods are delayed for 2 months. I took a bhcg on 2nd Nov and 15th Nov, it is negative. TVs shows pcos , I took primolut from 5th till 10th...