Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Been suffering with chest pain, dizziness, breathlessness, enlarged thymus gland, mass located near heart. What can be done?

I am 32 and have been suffering with chest pain , dizziness , shortness of breath and other symptoms for almost four years. I was finally given a ct scan in early december and was informed that I had an enlarged thymus gland . I was told I would need an MRI and upon receiving the results of the MRI I was informed there was a mass located near my heart and very close to a main artery. I was then sent to a cardiac surgeon in my area who obviously wants to operate and take the mass out and then biopsy. The complication here is that I have just found out I am pregnant. First there was discussion of waiting until I was out of my first trimester so as not to cause birth defects due to the anesthesia. Now doctor is unsure of what can be done to effectively manage my pain after operation while pregnant. Please tell me in your experience have you ever come across a case similar to my own and if so how did would you suggest my doctor proceed?
Asked On : Mon, 14 Jan 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  83
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
Cardiac Surgeon 's  Response
I have not come across anything of that kind.
But I will give you my thoughts.
If it is a precious pregnancy then you and the doctor have to take a risk and go ahead.
First trimester is better if one thinks in terms of haemodynamic compromise. But birth defects are common if exposed in the first trimester.
If the thymic mass is benign looking and your symptoms are tolerable, carry the pregnancy and get operated after your labour.
But I telll you there are many safe medications available for the foetus.
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]

Related questions you may be interested in


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor