Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
200 Doctors are Online

Been having lightheadedness after sex. Is it coital cephalalgia? How do I confirm?

Hi Doctor I have have been having lightheadedness after sex for more than year now. The lightheadedness lasts for 2-3 days and the intensity varies. Sometimes the lightheadedness turns into headache especially if I have sex or workout in the span of the 2-3 days. I saw a neurologist last year and had a CT scan and it was normal. He said it was migraine and prescibed me Amitriptyline but it didn t really make any difference so I stopped taking it. I also went to a cardiologist and ECG and stress test done and it was normal as well. I recently saw an ENT specialist and he said nothing wrong as well. I sometimes get ringing in my ears when I feel lightheadendess for few seconds and also hear pulses in left ear for few mintues. I do not know if this is coital cephalalgia or not. What should I do/Who should I see? Thanks.
Asked On : Thu, 23 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  97
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Dermatologist 's  Response
Jul 2012
Hi there. At the outset, it is not clear if you are male or female & in what age group?! Coital cephalalgia will depend on this as per statistics 1% prevalance does exist in the general population & more prevalent in males & starts after 20 & largely in the 30-40 age grp. Treatment could vary but propranol (beta blocker) prescribed for use before sexual activity is said to work as also indomethacin for the symptoms. However, each case in my opinion has to be asessed individually & perhaps a psychologist or sex counsellor or even a competent dermatologist/sexologist in your area wud be the person to visit. Should you prefer discretion, please log onto the ask-a-doctor premium package & will be ahappy to be of further specific assistance. Cheers & Good luck!
Dr Praveen Rodrigues MD
Dermatologist, Cosmetologist, Venereologist
Vikram Hospital & Asian Skin Institute
Bangalore, India
Answered: Mon, 3 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor