Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
143 Doctors are Online

Been diagnosed with multinodular goitre. Do FNB? Do thyroidectomy? Help?

Hi, I have been diagnosed with multinodular goitre (struuma nodoosa atoxica in latin). They have grown a couple of millimetres in 2 years. The surgoens want to do a FNB and no matter what the results they want to do a thyroidectomy . I do not want to undergo surgery as I am very scared of the side effects. Are there any medications that can cure these? If I undergo this surgery what will be the severe side effects for my health? Apart from losing my voive, will I also get wrinkled and lose my hair? Please help me. I am desperate. Thank you for your time. Best,
Asked On : Sat, 11 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  70
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Good day.
The decision of surgery is based on many factors. What is your age? What are the sizes of nodules? Do you have any voice change, shortness of breathing while lying down, or difficulty swallowing food? HAs the thyroid grown downwards or sideward compressing vital structures ?
What is the ultrasound character of nodules and any suspcison on malignancy?
What is your Thyroid function test like?

All these questions need to be considered when we deal with a multi nodular goiter. Ideally you need a needle test.

Now a days thyroid surgery is very safe especially when done by an experienced thyroid surgeon. However when the thyroid swelling become huge, the chances of surgical complications increase. In some countries they offer non surgical treatment of nodules like Laser. However, this is after ruling out cancer by needle tests. Again, non surgical treatment is not ideal for big thyroid swellings.

Voice change can happen after surgery, but as I mentioned earlier, it is extremely rare now. Surgery has no role in hair loss or skin wrinkling etc.
Please consult your endocrinologist and surgeon and discuss your concerns with them. They will discuss the pros and cons of any treatment and then you can decide.
Answered: Thu, 27 Mar 2014
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor