Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
172 Doctors are Online

Been diagnosed with endometriosis, IBS. Have positive result for strep B through vaginal swabs. Help

I have been diagnosed with endometriosis , IBS , and there are other problems with my urinary tract/kidneys which I am making appointments with nearby urologists to diagnose. I have been prescribed pain medication off and on for the last 5 years or so. Lately, I need them more than ever, as I also have positive results of Strep B through vaginal swabs. I have chronic pain and I am unsure how to describe to my doctor that my tolerance for pain medication has increased over time; i.e the instructions say to take 1 10mg Vicodin and I need 2 for pain relief. I have researched the difference between addiction and tolerance and I am sure it is my tolerance level. What do I say to her?
Asked On : Fri, 31 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  55
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pathologist and Microbiologist 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM,

You are currently suffering from three different processes. Pain relief with pain killers is all right for some time however, you have mentioned that you are developing tolerance for the pain killers.
Thgis implies that the pain has no decreased over the period of time and the disease process has continued since then.

A positive vaginal swab for Streptococcus B implies an infection of the genital/ urogenital tract.
AYou need to go for culture sensitity and appropriatee antibiotics for the infection.

Secondily, if the endometriosis is the cause of pain, it has to be managed hormonally or sutgically depending on the stage of endometriosis.

Thirdly, the IBS has to be managed by dietary modifications and appropriate drugs.

The management of the underlying disease processes will only relieve pain.
Pain killers will only provide symptomatic and short lived relief.
This is not the permanent cure.
You need to ask your doctor for treatment of the underlying causes.

Thanks and take care.
Dr Shailja p Wahal
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor