Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Basal ganglia intracerebral hemorrhage, paralysis, following with eyes, moving arms. Prognosis of disease?

my dad has had a principal diagnosis basal ganglia intracerebral hemorrahge on dec 25 2011 I wanted to ask what kind of therapy should he be facing? How is my dad developing since then? how should he be developing? is it possible that he can get out being like this? hes not talking hes moving much more, only his arms, but not totally controlled, he follows with his eyes, hes practically paralyzed, but he is doing movements, he can hold on to his bed rail, he can reach up toward his face, when nurse is trying to suction his mouth. i want to know the facts of everything with my dad, with what i included with this... thank you so much!
Asked On : Mon, 9 Jul 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  331
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hi halenagirl7.

Thank you very much for your question.

Your dad had a intracerebral hemorrhage in basal ganglion .it is called CVA or cerebrovascular accident or brain stroke.It is usually presented with one sided body paralysis called hemiparesis and the side of paralysis is opposite to the side of brain where hemorrhage occur.The prognosis of CVA depends site of damage, extensiveness of damage and the delay in the start of treatment.If it is very big and occupy vital area of brain then patient can die on the spot.But you don't worry,your father survive the initial attack but the first think you should do is to do some basic investigation like-routine blood count,bleeding time,clotting time,lipid profile,fasting sugar,urea,creatinine,chest xray as most of the stroke patient have abnormality in one or more of the blood parameter and please treat all the abnormality he have based on your doctors those cases full recovery in the form of gaining of power and tone in the extremity usually is not occur but partial recovery occur and having pick between within 6-8 weeks so do physiotherapy for gaining is the only way.
for that gradually he regain a lot of power in hand muscle.But it is very notorius for recurrance so please check all the parameters i said regularly and take drugs advise by doctors.

Last but not the least one of the cause of this thing is please maintain your father blood pressure in a normal range by advise from physician.avoid common salt and spicy food.Regular 30 mins exercise is a must.

best wishes,

Dr Sourav Ganguly
Answered: Mon, 9 Jul 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor