Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Bang on the foot, injury to small toe, deep purple coloration from top of foot to toe, swelling. X-ray needed?

I am just wondering at what point I need to see a doctor. Yesterday a large cutting board fell off the counter and onto my foot . It was the corner of the board the hit me about a half inch in from the outside foot bone that juts out below the pinkie. There is a small red mark where the board hit, and one half of the top of my foot, up through my pinkie toe is a deep purple color. It does hurt, but I can walk. I can tell that it is a bit swollen. Is there something I should watch for that would indicate that I need to see a doctor to have it x-rayed? Is it possible to fracture/break something in this way?
Asked On : Fri, 8 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  70
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.
I hope this is helpful to you.
Dr Saurabh Gupta
Answered: Fri, 8 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor