Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Bad ear infection, MRI show right mastoid. Permanent headache, popping in both ears, stiff neck, dizziness and blurry vision. What to do ?

I got a bad ear infection 5 mos. ago. The infection started in my throat (I was recovering from blunt trauma to the throat) and moved up into my rt ear and rear skull base at same time. An MRI diagnosed me with rt Mastoid 2 mos ago. Had 2 courses of antibiotics, which did not work. Developed permanent headache at base skull, ear popping/water noises in both ears, stiff neck , dizziness, and blurry vision. 2 mos ago had a peripheral vision TIA, in both eyes, for 5 minutes and went through some extreme temperature swings. Been to ER 3 times, seen 5 ENTs, and 1 Primary Care Physician and they don t know what to do. The ENTs did not order any tests since they thought it was probably allergies, gerd, thyroid, or depression of which I have never had any of those symptoms. The Primary Care Physician asked me to wait 3 mos. and see her again. I cannot sleep because the headache/stiff neck seems to be getting worse. Tylenol does not help. Not sure what to do but need help badly.
Asked On : Sat, 16 Feb 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  69
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
ENT Specialist 's  Response
Aug 2013
hello and welcome to HCM,

You seem to be having a multitude of problems pertaining to ENT and I am surprised that none of the ENT ordered any ENT tests!
You need to consult an ENT immediately and impress upon him the need to do the following:
1. Complete cleaning of the ear canal and examine the status of the ear drum
2. Complete audiological evaluation including PTA and impedance
3. CT scan of the temporal bones and mastoid as only CT will pick up hard lesions which are bony and also give us an idea of the state of the ossicles or bones. Also your inner ear can be examined more closely
4. You need to also consult a neurologist for proper evaluation of your TIA which includes another battery of tests best prescribed by him

get back to me if possible with these reports and will help you out more

take care

Dr Sriram Nathan
Answered: Mon, 19 Aug 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor