Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Bad cough and is very congested and losing her voice, please help

My baby of 7 months has a bad cough and is very congested and losing her voice
Asked On : Sat, 5 Feb 2011
Answers:  1 Views:  483
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
ENT Specialist 's  Response
She may be developing Acute Laryngotracheobronchitis (Croup). You should seek expert medical examination and treatment immediately. A doctor can check her chest for air entry, stridor (noisy breathing), chest indrawing, discoloration of skin (cyanosis), mental alertness, fever and local examination such as the throat. The doctor can do an X-ray Neck & Chest to rule out epiglottitis, retropharyngeal abscess or a foreign body in the airway. An infant's airway is narrower and has more lax tissue which swells up faster, causing obstruction. The doctor can get blood tests and culture's done to guide treatment, and maintain humidification, hydration, nebulization and steroids under antibiotic cover.
Answered: Sat, 5 Feb 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor