Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Bacteria in urine, on zyvox. Can i quit after 12 days?

my husband had bacteria in his urine & he's been on zyvox for 12 days. Because the cost has gone up dramatically,
he would like to know if he can quit after the 12 days or does he have to take it the full 14 days. We are on limited income the cost is a few days has gone from 325.88 for 4 days to 400.98 in 4 days & for the two remaining days, we were told it would be 582.50 for just 4 bags. Can't afford this & besides this has now gone over our initial Medicare limit where we have to pay 50% for his normal medications. He's 87 years old. Thank you.
Asked On : Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  56
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM.

Thank you for your query.

Usually antibiotic coverage for a urinary tract infection is given for a duration of 7 days, and once co-related clinically, the improvement and complete treatment is achieved within this time frame. But, as your husband was prescribed zyvox (which is a higher grade antibiotic), usually prescribed for severe and persistent infections, your husband's doctor might have chosen a duration of 14 days.

Please first note, whether your husband has found relief from the infection (i.e. all symptoms subsided)? At times, although asymptomatic, traces of the infection-causing organism can still be present. If this is the case, the infection-causing organism can reproduce and cause a re-infection. In such a scenario your husband would have to start with a fresh course of antibiotics again. This would not be cost-effective in your case. Thus, it would be wiser to finish the course.

The only way we can find out if your husband is infection free, would be with a urine examination, if this is cheap and you are willing to go ahead with this, then please do.

You could also discuss with the pharmaceutical/medical store and ask for alternative brands to the drug linezolid (you are currently taking zyvox); as there usually are cheaper brands producing the same drug, for the population who cannot afford the more expensive ones. Check on this, and you could shift over to another brand, as long as the content is linezolid.

I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.

Best wishes.
Answered: Mon, 15 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor