Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
183 Doctors are Online

Back pain on the spine. MRI showing disc bulge indicating the cal sac. Surgery needed?

Dear Sir, I have back pain at end of spine and sometime leg pain also. So i done MRI in which result is indicating as below. * L5/S1 lumber-IV disappear hypo intense an T2W image, Suggestive of dehydration . * L5/S1 IV disc show posterior bulge indicating thecal sac . So, Please advise me what is the meaning of above and which kind of treatment need or operation is required or not. If any medicines then please suggest me. Very thanksful to you
Asked On : Sat, 18 Aug 2012
Answers:  1 Views:  86
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello and welcome to HCM
You have a chance of PIVD (Prolapsed Inter vertebral Disc), to be confirmed by clinical examination. To get rid from this problem you can go for medication with physiotherapy. Surgery is only preformed if nerve compression is there(nothing has been written in your MRI report about Nerve compression), So decision for the surgery is to be taken by your doctor with relation to clinical examination. Precautions to be followed are:
1. Avoid jerky movements of spine.
2. Wear LS belt while traveling or driving.
3. Take complete bed rest.
4. Do regular spine exercise as advised by your physiotherapy.
5. Use hard bed to sleep.
6. Take some analgesic and apply diclo gel locally in pain.
Hope this will help you.
Best wishes
Answered: Sat, 18 Aug 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor