Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
186 Doctors are Online

Back pain after falling down stairs. Taken painkillers. Treatment?

Hi I fell down the stairs and hurt my lower/middle of my back, I have been to the doctors and she prescribed me painkillers and to go to hospital for an x-ray what I want to know is at the moment I work as a postman and carry heavy bags to deliver, I don t want to be off work but what would you recommend time off and what treatments I should back is really painful Nathan Cooper
Asked On : Sat, 9 Feb 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  1708
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Welcome to the forum.
As you say, you already have access to painkillers, so a doctor isn't likely to be able to help you. I would recommend you go to see someone who specialises in treating back problems rather than a "general practitioner".
The spine is actually remarkably strong and your pain is most likely coming from the protective reflex muscle spasm that gets triggered with a nasty fall like that.
I recommend a combination of massage and joint manipulation to relax the muscles and realign the spine, then some postural and stabilizing exercises to maintain good biomechanics.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile
Answered: Tue, 12 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
Welcome to the forum.
Physical therapy is a good option to look into. Massage. Alternate ice and heat packs. Time. When the pain eases, stretches. A warm bath, when you can get into it. Sleep is good when you can get comfortable enough to get some. Prescription painkillers probably will relax you and help you get some rest and for now that is just what you need. Take care and I hope the pain goes away quickly for you.
I hope this is helpful to you.
You can consult me again directly through my profile.
Answered: Sun, 10 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Grzegorz Stanko's  Response

Thank you for the query.

The pain you do suffer from is most likely caused by soft tissues trauma (if X-rays did not show anything wrong). Such pain usually last about a week or so and in that time should disappear. You should know that the pain has very important function. It immobilizes injured part of the body so it can get healed property. If you start working as the pain is present, you may cause this time become longer. That is why the pain should be your indicator of the time you should be off the work.
The medicines which should be helpful are painkillers like Diclophenac or Naproxen. Hot baths can increase healing process and relax injured muscles.

Hope this will help.
Answered: Sat, 9 Feb 2013
I find this answer helpful

3 Doctors agree with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor