Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Back pain. MRI shows degenerative spondylosis of lumbar spine, bulging disc. What to do?

Dr. I am Viju frm Sri Lanka age 36, due to ver bad back pain did MRI scan last day, so the report's comment is as follows :- Degenerative Spondylosis of Lumbar Spine with posterior disc bulging narrowing bilateral neural foramiona at L5/S1, wht should i have to do nw, because I have to joing back to my duty on May 1st abroad ?
Asked On : Mon, 22 Apr 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  80
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Procedures
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Hello and Welcome to HCM,
Thanks for writing to us.
You might be suffering from degenerative disc disease & it occurs due to repetitive overload or stress to the disc & it increases the risk of disc herniation & spinal canal stenosis.
For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on facet joint and disc.
There are several treatment modalities with medicines, physiotherapy and with injections in the back called epidural injections and root/facet blocks.
If you dont get better with these treatment ,another option is surgery, by which the nerves are decompressed by removing the protruded disc (discectomy), which would significantly improve your symptoms.
Hope this helps you.
Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon
Answered: Wed, 24 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful
Orthopaedic Surgeon Dr. Mukesh Tiwari's  Response
Hello Viju,
Welcome at HCM.
It looks from your details that you are having degenerative spine with spinal canal stenosis at L5/S1 level.

If you are having severe pain in your limbs & unable to walk without pain then you nee surgery of spine to get back activity in your life.Your treatment also depend on the grade of stenosis at your spine.At present following conservative therapies are also available to give relief in pain-

-Nerve analgesic like pregabain,gabapentin,etc.

- Epidural steroids.


You may ask from your spine doctor about these options.

Hope this will help you.

With best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 23 Apr 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor