Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Back pain 3 prolapse discs, fracture of vert end plate, on endone 5mg, oxycontin cr 20mg, diagnosed osteopenia. Suggestion?

Hi I am a 56 yr old male suffering lower back pain 3 prolapse discs and a fracture of vert end plate and of course degeneration.My doctor has me on 5mg endone and now changing over to oxycontin cr 20mg.I really dont want to be be on either and just want to know safest way to come off meds when back settles down.Also diagnoised with osto penia.Looking for best treatment for that deit etc...
Asked On : Mon, 14 Oct 2013
Answers:  1 Views:  14
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Addiction Medicine Specialist 's  Response

It is nice to know that you do not wish to be on opioid analgesics like oxycontin for long in spite of suffering so much. The best and easiest way to come off opioids is to gradually decrease the dosage before ultimately stopping completely. During this process you may suffer from mild withdrawal symptoms like aches and pains, loose motions, running nose etc which can be managed with over the counter medicines. This will certainly be milder than the withdrawal from abrupt stopping of the drug. For osteopenia, you will need calcium supplements and other medicines, depending on the cause of bone loss, like abnormal vitamin D levels etc.

Hope this helps you. Best wishes.
Answered: Tue, 15 Oct 2013
I find this answer helpful

 1 user finds this helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor