Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
177 Doctors are Online

Baby has dent in lower back, discolored. Birthmark?

My baby has a dent in his lower back. Above his right butt cheek, to the right of his spine . The docs have never said anything, and at first I thought it was just a dimple and didn t think anything of it. The dent/crease seems more pronounced now and I m starting to get concerned. It s slightly discolored (a little tanner than the rest of his back), so I m wondering if it could be a birthmark . I don t know if I should wait until his 6 month check-up (he s 4.5 months now, was just at the pediatrician 2 weeks ago), or make him an appointment...
Asked On : Sat, 15 Sep 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  201
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Pediatrician 's  Response
Hello there,
When a dent is found on the lower back, it needs to be ascertained whether this "dimple" , a simple tuft of hair or a larger more serious "swelling" has any underlying association, secondly whether the lower limbs are moving normally and lastly whether the baby has an intact sphincter mechanism that controls the motions.
The baby requires an MRI evaluation of the lower back to ascertain the extent of involvement. It can be done at the earliest possible.
Take care.
Answered: Sat, 15 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician, Neonatology Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth's  Response
Hi what you describe may be a pilonidal dimple.Check whether there is any discharge from that site or you can see a tiny hole in which case it is called a pilonidal sinus.If it is only a dimple then nothing to worry.your pediatrician can confirm in the next visit.Take care

Answered: Sat, 15 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pediatrician Dr. Anoop Kumar Diwan's  Response
It maybe something called Spina bifida occulta. Just check if some discharge ever comes out of that hole, if not, then, nothing to worry about, it should close on its own. Good luck.
Answered: Sat, 15 Sep 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor