Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Azospermic. Had undescended testicles corrected. Taking HCG/HMG injections. Continue? Suggest

Hii doctor. i am 33 yrs old male & Married for the last 3 years, i am an azospermic and went for biopsy , which not succeed with zero sperm. i had been earlier corrected undescended testicles at later stage, (cryptochidism). in 2011 i tested FSH , which was very high 38, after TESE faliure doctore suggested for 3 months of HCG injections (5000iu ) 3 times/week and after 3 months, FSH came to low level to 6 and further i am on HCG / HMG (150iu) injections alternate days (total 3 times HCG & 3 time HMG) since 4 months i am taking these injection and in total for 7 months. i am fed with the injections and further i have to take for another 2 months and the doctor will check up and suggest further Lab investigations. please let me know, if it is the correct diagnosis.
i want a second thought
Asked On : Thu, 11 Apr 2013
Answers:  3 Views:  109
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
General Surgeon 's  Response

Would like to know a little more about the undescended testes:

1. Was it bilateral as your post suggests?

2. At what age was it corrected?

3. Are both testes in the scrotal sac now?

What was the report of the testicular biopsy in detail.

If the surgery for undescended testes was done as a young adult and the testicular biopsy is showing atrophic fibrotic seminiferous tubules, then frankly there is not much hope from the injections. But would like to know the reports in detail.

Please revert back.


PS: Now I see the age reported back by the patient. 8 years and 9 years is too late and infertility is inevitable. The injections are not going to help and testicular biopsy is only of academic significance.
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

General Surgeon Dr. Swapnendu Sekhar Ghosh's  Response
Welcome to Healthcaremagic.
From the description of your condition it is known factor of male infertility.
Cryptorchidism is the condition where the undescended testes [bilateral] become degenerated/atrophic by the time one get operated. the role of hormonal treatments in these conditions usually do not have any positive result .
It will be better for you to attend infertility clinic with your wife and discuss your problem with your doctor and find out alternative methods of treatment with donor sperm if your wife is otherwise fit for the procedure and both of you agree for the procedure like i u i etc.
The other option is to go for adoption , known and accepted method of treatment .
You are not alone with this condition and face the problem with clear mind and choose the method of treatment as per both of yours decision
Answered: Thu, 2 May 2013
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

  User's Response
Dear Dr. Rajesh.

1. yes the cryptochisdism was Bi lateral
2. Firstly Right side was corrected when i was 8 years old and the left was corrected in 2 stages when i was 9 years and then final stage of left side was corrected at the age of 13yrsw
3. Yes Both the Testes are now in the Sacs, Left side above the right side posistion.

Biopsy report was no sperm found, we had prepared for the TESE-ICSI with my wife and that time eggs were retrieved successfully. But no sperm was found. i do not have the full report.
Now i have finished around 8 months of injections and 1 month to go before schedule for 2nd Biopsy.

Your opinion please
Answered: Sun, 5 May 2013
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor