Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
185 Doctors are Online

Asthmatic, intermittent rapid heart beats, diagnosed with weak lungs. History of repeated pneumonia during childhood. COPD?

My brother who is 35 has been prescribed Formonide 200 and Tiova last week. He went to see a doctor as he thought he was having minor heart attack . His heart was beating faster than normal. This has happened 3 times now in the last two weeks but after several tests he was referred to pulmonologist . The pulmonologist believes that my brother s lungs are very weak like he has been smoking for years which isn t true. However, he has had pnemonia twice as a baby and he has always been asthmatic. My question is Has my brother got COPD? How does this affect his heart? Are the inhalers enough? I am worried. Please help!
Asked On : Wed, 31 Oct 2012
Answers:  2 Views:  32
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Pulmonologist 's  Response
Your brother could be suffering from asthma and COPD as there is history of childhood lung infection and smoking both of which are causes of COPD. He may also be suffering from allergy/asthma. He should undergo a PFT test to know the severity of COPD. He must stop smoking as this is the most important part of the treatment. Yes inhalers are the first line of treatment for COPD but there are other drugs like theophyllins. Treatment depends on the severity of illness and acute exacerbations. He should be under care of a pulmonologist for proper treatment and it`s monitoring.
Answered: Wed, 31 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Internal Medicine Specialist Dr. Akhilesh Dubey's  Response
Welcome to HCM
Your brother is Asthamatic and may be he has some component like Pulmonary obstructive disease but as you said he is not smoker.
He should be investigated properly to know allergic etiology and reversibility of bronchospasm by PFT ( Pulmonary function Test) serum IGE level to know allergy, he can also get allergy test in vitro and can avoid those allergens.
Inhalation therapy is cornerstone in treatment of asthma,which will help him if find difficult may use a Nebulizer to get proper deposition of drug in lungs.
Inhaled corticosteroids or oral corticosteroid may also help him
There are other preventive medicines like montelucast.,once his symptoms are controlled he should practice pranayam and yoga. At least deep breathing exercises.
A chronic lung disease in advance stages can cause right heart failure.
It is the chest Physician/Pulmonologist who will decide inhalers are Ok or he needs other drugs also.
Take care
Good Luck
Answered: Wed, 31 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor