Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Asthmatic, have cold and chest infection, intense rib pain causing difficulty in coughing, history of pneumonia, lung collapse. Similar signs?

Hi, I m a 48 year old female asthmatic & have had a cold & chest infection for nearly 3 weeks now. GP prescribed antibiotics and Prednisolone steroids 4 days ago but these don t seem to be making any difference. The cough is dry & persistent and I now have excruciating pain in my ribs (at the top right hand side under my breast) which is making it agony to cough, sneeze or even blow my nose. I had pneumonia and a partially collapsed lung about 20 years ago and I m concerned this could be heading the same way so would be grateful for any advice. Thank you!
Asked On : Tue, 23 Oct 2012
Answers:  3 Views:  65
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
OBGYN 's  Response
Your symptoms are typical for this season and as age advances, the systemic defenses come down and this causes infections to create trouble. I suggest that you consult a pulmonologist and take advice. You may not be having any recurrence of your old pneumonia but owing to the reduced ventilatory capacity following the asthma, it takes time for the symptoms to subside. Your pain is perhaps a muscle spasm following your incessant cough. You should have steam inhalations, nebulising, pain killer and local analgesic gel application. Please get further instructions from your doctor. Take care.
Answered: Tue, 23 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pulmonologist Dr. Arnab Maji's  Response
Thanks for query
Viral infections are more common in asthmatic. Bacterial pneumonia if occured mostly due to chlamydia and mycoplasma. So macrolides in the form of clarithromycin or azithromycin need to be added with your antibiotic regime if not done yet. Go for a recent chest x-ray to see the underlying lung to exclude other complications and also to look for radiological pattern of consolidation. If any sputum production is there send the sputum for culture sensitivity to choose appropriate antibiotics. Take non-steroidal anti-inflammatory agents like ibuprofen for pain relief. Consult with a pulmonologist and get yourself thoroughly examined.
Thank you.
Answered: Tue, 23 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Pulmonologist Dr. Shashi Dangwal's  Response
In a known asthmatic, a chest infection can aggravate the symptoms of asthma. I hope your doctor did a x ray chest to rule out any pneumonia. The persistent cough that you are having is a symptom of asthma. The chest pain that you are having could be because of strain in some muscle fibres or even a crack in the rib as a result of persistent cough. You may take a short course of oral steroids again, a montair lc and start seroflo or foracort inhaler. Be consistent with your inhaler treatment and soon you will start feeling better.
Answered: Tue, 23 Oct 2012
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor