Ashwagandha and Warfarin, medication for blood pressure

Is Ashwagandha OK for someone taking warfarin and who also has a slew of other health issues, for example, the person (my father) is in his late 70's and is a stroke survivor and also takes medication for blood pressure, diabetes , prostate issues, atrial fibrillation , etc ? Unfortunately, however, he is suffering from severe depression for which he is on Zoloft for the last few years but I think that effect has now worn off. And hence, I am exploring alternative medication for him. His depression is getting worse and he does not care to see a psychologist either. Any assistance on your end will be much appreciated. Thank you, Dipa
Tue, 30 Aug 2011
Hi
Welcome to healthcare magic and thanks for the query
Yes Aswagandha necessitates to modify the dose of warfarin. You can give it simultaneously if clinically indicated (e.g. depression) but should do frequent coagulation profile (INR) to check that INR remains between 2-2.5. Also please see his S creatinine and serum potassium level as Aswagandha roots have high potassium levels and can precipitate dangerous levels of S potassium if renal function is compromised.