Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
144 Doctors are Online

Arm injury due to fall, pain, large lump, bruise on lower arm. Chances of fracture?

We have been roller skating and my son has fallen over and hit his arm on the floor. He is complaining of pain and there is a big lump and bruise on his lower arm near his elbow . We are wondering whether we need to take him to hospital to see if it s a possible fracture or whether it s likely to be just a bump from the impact but he won t let us touch it as it hurts.
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Answers:  2 Views:  643
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query.

It might be soft tissue injury or fracture. Big lump might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) either due to ruture of microvasculature or bleeding from fracture ends.

Without X-ray, it is difficult to differentiate a fracture from others. I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. He may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin half tablet with food to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting and rest well.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.
Answered: Thu, 24 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Nsah Bernard's  Response
Dec 2012
Hello Sasha,

Thank you for posting on HCM

Generally, painful swelling after trauma especially on the limbs need to be examined for fractures or dislocations if joint areas. A neglected fracture is the worst medico-surgical condition any doctor or orthopedic surgeon (plus patient of course) can face. I suggest you get him to the hospital for x-ray ( just to be sure of the gravity of the situation. He would likely require antiinflammatory medications to regress the swelling and calm the pains. A physical examination of the affected area by a health professional can be very useful in determine if there is an obvious fracture or not.

Hope this helps and wish your son a quick recovery.
Dr Nsah
Answered: Wed, 23 Jan 2013
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor