Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
120 Doctors are Online

Are these tests necessary for 91 year old heart failure patient ?

Hi. my grandma is 91 and in assisted living . she was hospitalized in jan. for sudden weight loss , fatigue and nausea . she has heart failure and a pacemaker . at Christmas she was doing fine, now since the middle of jan. she has weeping edema with ulcers in feet, legs and hands. she has to sleep in a hospital bed now to keep propped up. she s on oxygen 24/7 and has practically no appetite and very often throws up the little food she eats. my question is why would her dr. order yet another ct scan and blood tests? it took her days to recover from that and what could it possibly tell us? shouldn t we just be trying to make her comfortable at this point? she s on diuretics, but they re not doing any good anymore. any idea how long she will have to suffer like this? thanks.
Asked On : Mon, 7 Mar 2011
Answers:  2 Views:  272
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Hello There..
Welcome to healthcare Magic forum..
I am sorry to hear about your grandma..
It depends on you and your family whether you want to do additional tests or just allow your grandma in the comfort care..
Doctors usually act according to the patients best interests..You can discuss with your doctor whether she really requires all these tests and is it really going to make her better...
Hope this helps!!
Take care!!
Answered: Tue, 8 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
General & Family Physician Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani's  Response
thanks for choosing health care magic.See there are two aspects of treatment one is social and other one is medical.There is always a thin line between in case of patients like your grandma.Doctors tries there best to make her comfortable.Even if the patients is aged one can let her suffer only because she is aged.You should talk to your doctor discuss the condition in details and if you want you can request to avoid tests after due thinking.Aged patients treatment is tricky issue sentiment and practical aspects needs to be balanced.
Answered: Tue, 8 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor