Are these BP reading OK ?

The readings are: 176 / 113 and; 179 / 95 the person is a woman in her 50s. They appar high, are they too high and if so what can be done to help. Thank you.
Wed, 16 Dec 2009
's  Response
Yup the readings are high. To be diagnosed with hypertension, a person should get a BP of >140/90 on 2 separate occasions. But of course, make sure that when they got her BP she is not in stress or exhausted. When she's diagnosed with hypertension, there maybe a lot of causes like renal problem, endocrine or hormone problem or there could be none or idiopathic and it is just genetics or it runs in the family. She should be further evaluated by her doctor doing some laboratory tests just to be sure. The most common type of hypertension is idiopathic meaning there's no apparent cause and is just in the family. After the evaluation, the doctor might advice diet, exercise and will prescribe medication. Just stick to it and follow the doctor to prevent major consequences of uncontrolled BP like kidney problem, heart disease, stroke or eye problem. You know that prevention is the still the best cure.