Are there better alternatives of Metformin for the treatment of diabetes?

I had pancreatitis 14 years ago. My pancreas damaged very badly and not produce enough Insulin for blood sugar. It developed diabetes and I am taking Metformin 500mg twice a day with some other herbs and supplements, but doesn't help that much. Medical test shows my pancreas produce very little Insulin.
My doctor just keep prescript Metformin.
Questions
1. Are there any better prescription/treatment for my case?
2. Are there any natural Insulin supplements?
Thu, 31 May 2018
Endocrinologist 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

You have secondary diabetes because it is the consequence of a pancreatic condition.

Secondary diabetes will often be permanent and "how " it is managed vary quite significantly depending on which condition has caused it.

Generally the pancreatitis cause loss of pancreatitis function. In these forms of secondary diabetes, injections of insulin may need to be taken to keep blood sugar levels under control. However, in some cases, taking diabetes medication in tablet form may be sufficient.

I agree with your doctor's decision. Metformin can be very effective to help your body to manage your blood sugar, especially if you are overweight or obese.

At the other side it is very important to start a diabetic plan meal and to do more physical activities. If this is not enough and you have upper range blood sugar, the insulin injections will be the right treatment for you.

There are not natural insulin supplements but eating health, doing exercises every day, and reducing stress can help you manage better your diabetes.

Hope this is helpful.