Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
164 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Are there any other medicines apart from Depakote and Geodon for a Down s syndrome patient?

I have a special needs son, Down s syndrome with autism spectrum, impulsiveness and some ticks. with his impulsiveness, he may grab or scratch a caregiver. We re trying to improve his mood and curtail the impulsiveness. he is 27 years. Just tried him on Geodone & blood sugar spiked dangerously. Depakote worked well for awhile, but he plateaued on that. Looking for suggestions on meds. Of course it would be with the approval of his current physicians. Thank you, XXXX
Thu, 18 Jul 2019
Report Abuse
Psychiatrist 's  Response

I think oxcarbazepine {prescription drugs} is a good option for controlling mood swings, apart from separate.
If this suits him, it can a good option.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Shubham Mehta, Psychiatrist
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
Share on

Related questions you may be interested in

doctor1 MD

have a downsydrome man that is acting very aggressiveness.....he is on eplim and a number of other can i help eplim a...