Are there antibiotics to effectively cure empyema?

I have been treated for empyema and they have determined it to be strep bacteria. The infectious disease dr says there are no oral antibiotics that will be effective and he says I must have a picc line inserted and be on iv antibiotics for 4 weeks. I find this hard to believe and really don t want to deal with the picc and its potential complications. Are there truly no oral antibiotics that would be effective?
Tue, 5 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Depending on severity treatment suggested in empyema.

If pneumonia like infection not controlled with antibiotic than empyema develop because of complication.

Provide your reports for giving more comment

In empyema as infection is severe intravenous antibiotic needed

So your doctor right and intravenous ceftriaxione like broad spectrum antibiotic needed to be given I. V

Than oral medication can be shifted after controlling infection

Hope this solves your concern

Consult pulmonologoist for examination