Are swollen gums, a side effect of cold infection?

I've had a head cold for over a week. The past 4 days or so my upper, left gums have been swollen and itchy and there has been tooth/teeth pain. No bleeding when brushing. Yes to facial pain by the cheek bone. Please say the gums/teeth are a side effect of this cold!
Sat, 14 Nov 2015
Dentist 's  Response
Hi Dear,

Welcome to HCM.

Understanding your concern. As per your query you had cold infectiona nd after that you had gum infection which is due to infection that travel from sinuses to the surrounding area of root of the tooth or directly to gums. I would suggest you to consult dentist for proper oral prophylaxis like scaling and curettage along with antibiotics. You should do warm saline rinses several times a day. Do betadine rinses twice a day. Doctor may perform root canal if the pulp of the tooth get infected. Avoid hot and spicy food. You should take ibuprofen and acetaminophen for pain and swelling.

Hope your concern has been resolved.

Get Well Soon.

Best Wishes,
Dr. Harry Maheshwari