Are probiotics effective in aiding digestion?

Hello. I know probiotics are essential for a smooth digestion. I was told they do not do anything for you unless you are taking a prebiotic with it. Is this necessary to take both? I do not know much about prebiotics and would like to know a little more.
Mon, 9 Oct 2017
Hello, my name is Dr.Dorina Gurabardhi. I understand your concern.
Probiotic are live bacteria in yogurt, dairy products, and pills.
Prebiotic is a specialized plant fiber that beneficially nourishes the good bacteria already in the large bowel or colon.
While probiotics introduce good bacteria into the gut, prebiotics act as a fertilizer for the good bacteria that’s already there.
The body itself does not digest these plant fibers.
The can be taken separately but they both accomplish important health tasks for the human gut.
Hope my answer was helpful, if you have any other questions I'll be glad to help, thanks!