Are natural products advisable for elevated triglycerides and cholesterol?

I am 65 yrs. of age and both my cholesterol and triglycerides are elevated. Total cholesterol is 257. Triglycerides are 158. HDL cholesterol is 55. The dr. threw a sample of Crestor to me and gave me a prescription as well. I threw the Crestor in the trash. Started taking Cholestoff *Complete* which is for both dietary and genetic high cholesterol (made from plants) and am suppose to take two twice daily before meals. Also am eating 3/4 cup of Quaker Oat Meal w/ cinnamon sprinkled heavily over it each day and am on a low fat diet. Have been told that niacin also helps bring down cholesterol and am wondering if you would recommend taking it. I also take fish oil daily. Am interested in natural products for lowering it. Haven t been exercising appropriately and need to do that. Both of my parents had normal cholesterol levels but my grandmother passed due to a stroke. What is your recommendation and am I on the correct path? I am totally against statins due to their many side effects. I take medication for thyroid which is Synthroid and have no other major medical problems. Thank you very much
Tue, 9 Apr 2019