• question-icon

Are my blood pressure and pulse rate in normal range?

My age is 84 years, male person. My Blood Pressure is Systolic- 160, Diastolic- 82, and Pulse Rate - 69. Is it within normal range if not what should be my upper limit of normal range
Fri, 7 Oct 2016
Thanks for writing to Health Care Magic, I am Dr Asad Riaz, I have closely read your question and I understand your concerns, I will hereby guide you regarding your health related problem.
This is a high systolic blood pressure. Any 2 blood pressure readings of more than 140/90 mmHg (two seperate ocassions) is labelled as hypertension. That above 160 justifies medical treatment i.e drugs need to be given.
Before starting any such treatment, you will need a daily or twice weekly blood pressure record, an EKG, lipid profile and renal function tests to ensure safe prescribing.
You also need to make certain dietary and lifestyle modifications. Brisk walk gradually increased ti 35 minutes daily, salt intake restricted to 1-1.5 grams a day and avoidance of fatty foods is recommended
I hope this answered your question, if you have more feel free to ask.

Regards.

Dr.Asad Riaz
General and Family Physician..