Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
135 Doctors are Online

Are kerosene heater fumes toxic or medically harmful ?

My husband, age 58, works in the garage with two kerosene heaters blasting, the smell is outrageous. What symptoms might he experience by inhaling the fumes for 8 or more hours at a time. ps, he keeps the outside garage door closed to stay warm. Thank You, Karen
Asked On : Sun, 13 Mar 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  6866
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
General & Family Physician 's  Response
Symptoms after inhalation of kerosene fumes include drowsiness, fever, a rapid heartbeat, tremors, and severe pneumonitis.
Answered: Sun, 13 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Homeopath Dr. Arif. K. Kaware's  Response
hi karen;
welcome to healthcare magic.
Inhaling of any fumes of hydrocarbons is toxic to our body so kerosene fumes are definitely dangerous.On top of it if he is keeping door closed he is blocking the exhaust & ventilation;so it even more dangerous.These fumes damage lungs & the person suffers from respiratory diseases.If it is not possible to change the work or the place please tell him to keep cross ventilation so that the damage will be less.
Answered: Sun, 13 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Nephrologist Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha's  Response
kerosene fumes are definitely toxic and might cause him to black out as the carbon monoxide released will cross the blood brain barrier. He might also have symptoms like nausea, vomiting, chest discomfort, plapitation, etc
Answered: Tue, 15 Mar 2011
I find this answer helpful
Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]


Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor