Are frequent bowel movements and abdominal pain symptoms of food poisoning?

My fiance and I are on vacation and he, previously diagnosed with ibs, is having suddenly worse and more frequent bowel movements accompanied with rectal pain and mild abdominal pain. He is going almost every hour or so, but despite the urgent feeling of having to go, actually going is painful and somewhat of a challenge. Could this be food poisoning? Despite his IBS, this is something hes never experienced before.
Wed, 6 Jun 2018
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

IBS is a kind of functional disorders and not the pathology, here the given symptoms may not be due to IBS but it seems to be due to some infection, the given symptoms even not because of food poisoning, infection could be bacteria, or virus, most of the time It is the self limiting condition, only thing is care need to be taken for dehydration, if the symptoms are severe then hospitalization is necessary.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.