Are constant headaches along with excessive sleepiness in a child a matter of concern?

Hi. My 3 year old son has been crying from a constant headache for 2 days, is sleeping alot, not eating but drinking okay. His body temp has been high. Advil helps for a short period. Current stats.. 99.7F, 95% O2 and 135 heart rate. He is also very irritable. Does this warrent concern, or should I just let it run its course? Thank you
Fri, 8 Jun 2018
Pediatrician, Pulmonology 's  Response
Hello and Welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

Fever of few days without any localizing signs could as well a viral illness. Usually rather than fever, what is more important is the activity of the child, in between 2 fever episodes on the same day. If the kid is active and playing around when there is no fever, then it is probably viral illness and it doesn't require antibiotics at all. Once viral fever comes, it will there for 4-7 days. So do not worry about duration if the kid is active. Paracetamol can be given, that too only if fever is more than 100 F. I suggest not using combination medicines for fever, especially with Paracetamol.

Best regards.